Thursday, January 27, 2011

Howard's Dark Tower Starting to See Light


A few months ago, it was announced that Ron Howard (The Da Vinci Code, A Beautiful Mind) will be doing an adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower book series. Since there were seven books in the series, there's no way Howard is able to do it in one movie, so they've thought of this new interesting approach to it. To do one movie first, then a season on TV, followed by another movie, etc. Which I think will be cool, if it works.

And right now, it seems they've managed to cast their Roland. Or at least very close to it. With names like Viggo Mortensen and Christian Bale popping up, it seems the role has been offered to Oscar-winner (and current nominee) Javier Bardem, according to Deadline Hollywood Daily.

I think Bardem would be good choice for the role. Perfect world would have Clint Eastwood in his 40's in the role, but without CGI that's not going to work and with CGI, it would just be distracting. Bardem has never been bad in anything I've seen him in, and his performance in No Country For Old Men was brilliant.

Other than that, this project is something I'm looking forward to a lot, not only as a Dark Tower fan(still need to read books 6 and 7 though) but also to see if this Movie-TV-Movie-TV thing actually will work. I'm intrigued. If it only wasn't Howard behind it, I would be even more excited.

Oh, and when I was reading these books as kid, I always imagined Roland as Bruce Campbell, probably thanks to The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. What a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment